Temp 3D print filament spool holder from paper box...

Hi There,

Recently I ran into an issue. I bought a 1kg roll of filament and wanted to print a spool holder.
I googled up the internet, and found this one:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:508896

And this is actually a Catch 22. It's hard to manage a long running 3D print without proper spool holder and avoid any run away of the filament string, which would end up in a knot then the filament would stuck at extruder motor and all these would end up in a catastrophic failure, a failed print.

Luckily my filament had a nice paper box. Then I thought "I might can use that box to have a temp solution for my problem".
And this lead me to this solution.
So I grabbed the paper box and a short piece of PVC pipe which I would use as spindle.


I placed the spool into the paper box. Where to cut the hole for the spindle is a very important question. Our ultimate goal is to allow the spool spin smoothly.
As you can see, my box was just a bit bigger than the spool. Therefore I couldn't put the spindle into the middle of the spool, because then the spool won't lay on the spindle, rather it would stand on the bottom of the box and wouldn't run smoothly at all. So I decided to move the center of the spindle to the left, where it could really support the spool's weight and the spool would have enough space to run freely. I just used the pipe piece to mark the hole for the spindle by pushing down hard. That left a nice circle on the paper to cut.
The rest is history...

 Both sides of the paper box were prepared with the hole for the spindle
The pipe piece as spindle was placed its place.
And wrapped that up.
Then I cut a hole on the top of my paper box spool holder, where I let the filament come through and printed the above mentioned spool holder.

However if you plan to print a spool holder for your filaments, I'd suggest this ultimate, luxury one :)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2119644
That's all Folks.

Have a nice one!

Megjegyzések